Monday, July 15, 2013

Pottery Barn Black {Distressed} Finish: The Busy Momma's Guide

That's quite the long title. But don't worry, the extra time it took you to read that long title will be made up when you see what you can do to achieve the Pottery Barn black distressed finish on your own furniture.


I have painted everything. The right way, the wrong way, and every way in between. I have had the wrong way turn out great and last. And the right way chip only months later. I've learned that I don't always need all of the fancy tools, paints and whoknowswhats to achieve what I'm going for. And that's really true for every thing I do.

I've been trying to do with what I have while I do a little playing around the house this summer. It's not always easy, but it's proving to be pretty fun!

The boys have had blue beds for what seems like forever. One of the beds was purchased that way when boy#1 moved out of his crib. So it had the shiny factory finish, but was just an MDF underneath. Boy#2 then moved out of his crib into a bed (frame) I got from Craig{slist}. They were similar style beds, with finials and beadboard on the head/foot rails. But they were different. So I painted Boy#2's bed to match the already blue bed. Are you following me here?

Painting different pieces in the same color really unites them, and in this case, it was difficult to tell they were different. 

As boys things tend to do, the beds were looking pretty dinged up. So while they were away, the {busy} momma did play.

This is what I did (and what you can do too):

1. I did not prime. (Screams heard everywhere. Gasp! Mothers shielding their childrens eyes from those very words). This is what the beds looked like.



2. I used this paint. (If there is ever an apocalypse and you are in desperate need of this paint, let me know. I seem to have hoarded about 6 quarts.) Rustoleum Painters Touch in Semi Gloss Black.


3. I used this brush. It's a Wooster Angled Brush. Any good brush should do. Or, if you prefer a foam roller, that would be great. I had too many nooks and crannies for that.


4. I painted the beds. You heard me right. I just dipped and painted. No fancy footwork. This is where the Secret Service will show up on my door step to question my DIY abilities. One bed had already been painted over the factory finish so the paint had something to stick to. The other bed was left in it's original finish. If yours has been waxed or is too glossy to take a finish, you would want to gently sand and wipe down at this point. 

The paint did need two coats - I think it was because it was a semi gloss paint and those tend to need more coats in my opinion.

5. Ok-this is where you may think I have LOST. MY. MIND. (And that I need a serious RnB intervention). But I assure you, this is what gave the {fake} distressed finish that I have seen with Pottery Barn furniture. I took out my trusty tube of....drumroll.....Rub n' Buff in Grecian Gold. 


I'm sure I'm breaking every single rule known to furniture painters. But that's ok - because it turned out AMAZING! I used the RnB on my finger tip and gently ran it down all of the edges and corners that would typically be distressed. You can use less or more, whatever you like. After I wiped it on, I gently wiped it down, to get rid of the bright gold. It left a brownish tint in it's place. 

Let's get to the pictures so you can see what I did.













The finish from the Rustoleum Painters Touch paint is so smooth. You can see in the photo above how it shines. I am so tickled with how these turned out I find myself happily making their beds every morning and marveling at how easy and beautiful this project was. And...it didn't cost me a dime. I had everything already!

Can  you already see some changes I've made to the room? If you don't remember what it looked like, here it was before. Here's a sneak peak at this diy sign up on the wall.


I'm so excited with how this is turning out!

xo-Chris


Sharing with:

23 comments:

  1. This is a genius way to distress! I would have never thought of this! I love me some Rub 'N Buff! Pinning! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of desperation comes amazing things I guess! I've linked up.
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Hey Chris, I'm a new follower on GFC from the GFC linky. I'm never good with paint but this sure makes it look easy (though I know it's not!).

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Ochi! It actually was easy (this time)! I'll be sure to come by and visit.
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Great. Idea! So much easier than sanding. I'm pinning this to my paint board.
    Thank you so much for Linking Up at Brag About It at BeBetsy and VMG206 this week. We are so happy to have you join us!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Did you know I have another Link Party each week? Open NOW (Sat thru Fri) @ DIY Showcase Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures and the room is so great - the bed finish turned out really nice. Love the black and red.

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Antiques | DIY | and much more

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do like how your paint job came out - but I'm an even bigger fan of the look of the room in general! Those ticking duvets?, comforters? are fantastic - BIG fan of ticking, here! Also loving the red accents - great color pallete! SO glad I found you - (at MMS FFF) I'm off to take your home tour!
    -breida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breida! I made those ticking duvet's with a white sheet from Walmart and fabric from fabric.com. I hope you follow my blog! I have just started to work on my home tour section, as I'm sure you saw...but I hope you toured my site and found something you liked.
      Thanks so much for stopping by!!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. What a clever way to achieve that finish! I will keep that in mind for a future paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a fabulous idea! How did you come up with that? However you did, you're right, it does look just like the PB black distressed finish. And no sanding involved! Well done. I found you over at Elizabeth & Co. I'm pinning this to my Furniture Inspiration board so I'll remember it for later. So glad you shared!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your beds look amazing! What a great way to get the look you want. I will have to give it a try. Oh, and by the way I just love all the extra touches you have given the room to make it so cute and cozy looking. I adore the pillows on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great transformation! LOVE the idea of using the Rub n Buff! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing transformation! i love the idea, thanks for sach a great tips.UK Cheapest Online Beds Store

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing job! I've been looking to do my buffet this way and you have inspired me to go for it! Thanks for your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin! So glad I inspired you :)
      xo-Chris

      Delete
  12. Chris- Adore your technique with the the gold rub and buff..I'm about to tackle a huge sleigh bed and wardrobe using black semi-gloss myself. I'm just curious, if you know if rub and buff makes a silver If so, how do you think the silver would work opposed to using the gold? Thanks so very much for sharing your DIY projects. Your boys have a beautiful and cozy room to enjoy their childhood in. XOXO LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They DO make a silver - and several other colors too. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, but I think most craft stores carry it. It's amazing stuff with endless possibilities! Good luck with your project! Make sure you come over to my facebook and share a picture when you are done for everyone to see!!
      xo-Chris

      Delete
  13. So......basically I can paint my piece as I normally would. Then decide where I want the distressed look and instead of sanding I can PAINT the look on top of my paint using Rub & Buff?!? Wow! I love this concept. It makes so much more sense to do it this way. I really hope I am understanding this correctly. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's right Tammy! I actually just used my finger to put the rub n buff on - because I only wanted it on edges where you would sand and my finger gave the best control. But play with it and see what you like! Good luck! Be sure to come over to our facebook page and leave pictures of your finished project to inspire others!
    xo-Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Silly question, but I can't read the can- is that semi-gloss an oil based paint?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you SO much for the tip! Just re did my dresser with your tutorial and it turned out way better than I expected!! Can't wait to do my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I painted my oak bedroom furniture with white chalk paint thinking I wanted white furniture. I just do not like it, so I am planning to try black. I am planning on using the paint you used for this project. How is the smell? Do I need major ventilation? If so, I may need to save the project for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came across your blog when I was googling cheap flooring ideas (and I know how hard it is to rank on Google, so hats off for that). I am really enjoying your style of writing and your ideas are second-to-none. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete