Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to make a {lovely} Boxwood Wreath: The Busy Momma's Guide

I subscribe to the theory that you can never have enough wreaths.  You may have noticed if you've browsed this little corner of the internets that I call home. It's just a thing. 

The thing is, wreaths are expensive. Like really expensive. I don't get it.  The good news: both of these wreath's cost me less than $5. So today while thinking I probably should be finishing some painting in my bathroom, I did this instead. And because you want to make one too, I made a tutorial.




I have had 2 grapevine wreaths hanging in my dining room windows for awhile. I just liked the natural and wild way about them.



  I got them at Hobby Lobby on a day that wreaths were 50% off, so they ended up being $1.99 each.  I think mine was 14 inches.

 I have several boxwood's growing in my back yard, so I just went out and cut snippets off of the brightest colored bush. If you don't have a boxwood, you could ask a friend or neighbor. If all else fails, you can buy faux boxwood greenery at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. It can be a little pricey though, so be sure to use a coupon.

Go get  your clippings. 

Push the bottom of the stem into the wreath and secure. I used a dab of hot glue on pieces that I thought were too loose, but some of them were very tight without glue.


Continue working around your wreath. I tucked small pieces in where I needed extra fluff, but I didn't want to hide the grapevine completely. You can add as much or as little as you'd like. The stems may pop out in places, so in some places I glued the tips in if they were too wild.
 

I already had the jute webbing to hang my wreath, but you could use ribbon, put it on the front door on a wreath hanger. It would be really great in a big empty frame. 
 




What's not to love! 



xo-Chris

Sharing with:

6 comments:

  1. I have lots of boxwood so this might be a fun thing to try. It looks very professional. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun - and only took about 10 minutes from start to finish. Thanks for visiting!
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Oh my gosh! I love your DIY boxwood wreaths!
    They are so expensive, so I love that you created a DIY tutorial!
    I didn't know that Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell faux boxwood twigs. That's awesome!! I plan on making a few wreaths after seeing your post.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a great weekend!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it useful! Thanks for stopping by!
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Love your boxwood wreath, so pretty! Would love for you to share this creative project at Simple & Sweet Fridays.
    New Follower!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long did they hold up before looking mangy?

    ReplyDelete