Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wallpaper {Book Pages}

This has got to be one of my most favorite DIY's in a really long time. It's fast, easy and cheap. But it also really makes a statement and is a fun way to make a big impact where you need it most.


A couple of years ago I painted 3/4 of a short wall in the boys room with black chalkboard paint. It was fun and something about the big black wall anchors everything visually. Apparently I didn't really love it, because this is the only picture I can find. The wall is about 10 feet long -


You get the idea - it was just a big chalk board. On the wall. That didn't really lend anything to the room design wise. 

While I was putting together my Restoration Hardware knock-off I had a light bulb moment.

I think I started gluing pages on the wall the second I was done with the sign. I glued pages onto the wall starting at the ceiling in the corner and working my way across the wall. 

When I was finished with actually covering the wall, I randomly glued pages up to hide seams I didn't like and to sort of separate the criss cross lines the edges of the pages made. I didn't want it to look like I was trying to have perfectly aligned pages across the wall.

This is what I was left with.










I love the crinkly, curling pages! The color and texture make me happy! Squeee!

I like the way the pages meet the black - so I'm not going to trim it out right now. But that could change.


Almost finished! I've got just a few more things that need some work (remember that broken dresser drawer I was talking about?). 

I'd love to hear your comments on my book page wall!

xo-Chris



Sharing with:

7 comments:

  1. Love this one, Chris! Jealous I didn't do it first (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Can't wait to show you the room :)

      Delete
  2. this is fantastic! I'm going to Pin it and Share it on my FB page if you don't mind. So, did you use wall paper paste for the pages on the wall? You said "glue" and I'm wondering what kind. . . I love how this looks SO much but I think I might run into some resistance (from my husband) about being able to get it off at some point in the future. . .
    -breida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to share! I did use wallpaper paste as my glue (I really have to get better at explaining things!). It was regular old wallpaper paste in a big pail from Lowes - nothing fancy. It really looks SO great and not something you will see in every house on the street, which I adore. I would have run into resistance from the husband. However, I do not run my thoughts by him anymore, because he rarely likes them in theory, but doesn't mind them (or at least isn't vocal about them) in reality. And that's good enough for me. I'm sure it won't be the easiest thing to get down, but I have plans to sell before I ever take it down :) You could use double stick tape along all of the edges of the page instead! Go for it with sticky medium of your choice! It's worth it!
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Chris, Thanks for you comments on my baby weight post. It is so nice to hear that others are there with you! I absolutely love the book page wallpaper and it is perfect above the chalkboard. Such a cool kids room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea - in the process of planning a room re-do for my son in a vintage style theme. Airplanes, old cars, trucks, etc....I found an ABC dresser that I love and it will be perfect. But I want to do this with maps I think. Awesome idea! And very cool to have the chalkboard paint on the wall. He loves to write on the walls with crayons - maybe this would be a great idea for him to be creative - btw - he's two! haha!
    Awesome room!
    Thanks for the ideas - Shanna

    ReplyDelete