Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Greek Quinoa Salad {Recipe}

This summer has been a little challenging due to our schedule and the 2 littlest littles are a bit of a handful at the moment (momma-ing isn't always easy, especially when you are trying to get everyone fed). 

I try to make sure we all eat real food 90% of the time. By real food, I mean unprocessed (or minimally processed) ingredients that come from the earth. I like to think that if my great grandma didn't use it, I shouldn't either. Although I'm not sure if my great grandma ever used quinoa.

One of our favorite quick summer meals is Greek Quinoa (that's a hard word...keen-wah) Salad. Quinoa seems to be all the rage right now. It's full of all sorts of great things for your body and super tasty. I buy mine in bulk at Winco, but if your grocer doesn't carry it, you can buy it from Vitacost.



This is my go to recipe for potlucks (and family barbecue's) because it travels so well, doesn't get mushy (I individually bag the cut veggies / dressing and mix on site) and doesn't require a certain temperature to be safe (yes, I'm talking to you potato salad).

We eat this salad as our main dish by doubling it, but it makes a great side dish. I've never heard a complaint! If you are under pressure to bring something delicious and easy to an upcoming event, I challenge you to bring this!

1 Cup Quinoa (red or white)
Cucumber
Tomato or a Container of Cherry Tomatoes
Kalamata olives
Red onion
Feta Cheese
2 C ups Chicken Stock

Dressing:
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Tb Olive Oil
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1 Tb Italian Seasoning



I rarely follow the ingredient list exactly. I throw in whatever is ripe in the garden. I substitute other cheeses or green onions. It's open to whatever you have on hand. 

Cook the quinoa until tender in two cups of chicken stock in a covered pan (about 15 minutes). Dice your veggies in the  quantities you prefer - I like 1 whole cucumber and tomato, and then I eyeball everything else depending on my mood. 

Let your quinoa cool.

In a bowl, stir your veggies and cheese into the cooled quinoa.

Whisk together the dressing and toss into the salad.

How simple is that!? It tastes like summer to me. It's quick and filling and makes a great lunch for the next day after the flavors meld together. I really wish I would have taken a picture... I will have to add one. It just didn't last long enough!

I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think!

  xo- Chris

Sharing with:

No comments:

Post a Comment