Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chinese Noodle Soup {Recipe} and Sneak Peak

I know I'm  not a food blogger.  But cooking is just about the only thing I have been getting done lately. Everyone has to be fed, right? I figured I would share our family favorite recipes in the meantime because everyone probably still has to eat at your house too.


This has been one of our favorite recipes for a couple of years. My boys l. o. v. e.  chinese pork. They would eat it every day if I let them. This recipe combines chinese pork with some other really yummy foods like bok choy and noodles and ginger. It's really simple, filling and may just become a favorite at your house too. Let's get to it...

Chinese Noodle Soup 
Adapted from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook

Feeds 6 but I almost always double because my kids want 2nds...and maybe so do I.
INGREDIENTS
1 (48-ounce) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
6 baby bok choy, halved
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
2 cups cooked whole wheat capellini
6 ounces, lean-cooked pork, cut into matchsticks
1 cup lightly packed baby spinach
Sliced snow peas (optional)
- See more at: http://www.nothankstocake.com/2012/04/05/new-recipe-chinese-noodle-soup/#sthash.z0hV2AHG.dpuf
INGREDIENTS
1 (48-ounce) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
6 baby bok choy, halved
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
2 cups cooked whole wheat capellini
6 ounces, lean-cooked pork, cut into matchsticks
1 cup lightly packed baby spinach
Sliced snow peas (optional)
- See more at: http://www.nothankstocake.com/2012/04/05/new-recipe-chinese-noodle-soup/#sthash.z0hV2AHG.dpuf
 1 48 oz carton chicken broth
2 scallions, cut on the diagonal
1 one-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled/minced
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
 6 baby bok choy, halved
3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
6 ounces Chinese pork, cut into matchsticks
2 cups pasta
1 cup baby spinach

Combine chicken broth, scallions, ginger and soy sauce in pot and simmer until scallions are tender. 

As you can see below, there are no scallions in my dish, because I didn't have any. I added mushrooms later instead.This recipe is open to changes and is still great, so if you don't have something, just substitute and carry on.


Add bok choy, carrots, and pork and simmer until vegetables are tender. I add the pork in this step because I have 2 little ones that have a hard time with tougher meat, adding it in this step allows it to become tender. I added my mushrooms here as well.

If you don't want it extra tender, add it in the next step.

 
After a few minutes cooking the vegetables, I tucked my pasta "nests" into my pot. I've used Chinese noodles, ramen noodles, spaghetti...anything I had on hand. My kids have been loving these little noodle nests lately, so I used those. 

I decided I needed extra bok choy here too. 



Simmer until your noodles are al dente.
Throw your spinach in until wilted. If you prefer a little kick, you could add some crushed red pepper flakes. Otherwise, you are FINISHED!~


It's so simple, and if you are like me, and have zero patience for steps, I throw everything in the pot at the beginning, and simmer on low until it's finished. About 12 minutes, and we are eating! 

Ok...if you follow me on Facebook you may have seen my sneak peak. And that I've been hinting at something with Chalkboard paint for a while.

Here is a bigger sneak peak until tomorrow...I'm in loovvee.


xo-Chris
 

(48-ounce) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
6 baby bok choy, halved
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
2 cups cooked whole wheat capellini
6 ounces, lean-cooked pork, cut into matchsticks
1 cup lightly packed baby spinach
Sliced snow peas (optional)
- See more at: http://www.nothankstocake.com/2012/04/05/new-recipe-chinese-noodle-soup/#sthash.z0hV2AHG.dpuf



 


1 comment:

  1. It must be lunch time because this looks extra delicious!

    ReplyDelete