Thursday, February 23, 2012

Family Room - Before & After

I love before and after's. I really, REALLLY love them. I like to see style change (let's face it, no one likes going into a house stuck in 1994 hunter green and rose chintz) and I like to change the space around me (a lot) I was sprucing up the family room yesterday and was thinking about how many changes it's gone through in the few short years we've lived here. So, I started digging through the photo archives to see what I could find.

Before - sort of:
So-the best before I could find was after I painted the builder pinky beige walls (seriously a week after we moved in) Restrained Gold by SW.  This room gets the morning sun, so it was really bright and cheerful. I loved it and never thought I would paint over the gold. Everyone who came in the house complimented the color.  I could never get the pictures to do any justice to this color - it always looked limey yellow.

This room was also a challenge for me to decorate at the time - I had enough furniture for an itsy bitsy cape cod with 1000sq ft. This house has 3500sq ft. It drove me nuts for about 2 years until I had pack ratted acquired enough furniture.



Originally we had the single Ikea Ektorp sofa and chair - but we were finally able to get the Ektorp sectional (which, by the way, will fit inside a Honda Odyssey with back seats taken out, with room to spare!). I love it and it holds up to our rowdy family.

I was pretty happy with it all...sort of. But then one night, the Mister took a walk around the neighborhood at night and commented on how many yellow/red rooms he could see through the windows (don't you love peeking in glowing windows at night?). And the wheels started turning. I was over the yellow and red trend - which was difficult because it carried me through my last two houses.

After (or more like Today): (because let's face it, this whole re-decorating decorating thing really doesn't end, does it?)














You know how after a fresh coat of paint on the walls, you either take a deep sigh of relief and smile to yourself every time you walk into the room ... or you shudder and think ohhhemmmgeee, I have to paint this all over? Well, I was the first one. It's feels calmer and like a beach house...I'm still thinking of a few things that need some attention. Isn't it funny how some paint can transform everything?

Now. I realized after shooting these pictures that my windows are filthy. I hope you liked the transformation!

xo-Chris

Linking up to:

The 36th AVENUE





The 36th AVENUE

Between Naps on The Porch: Metamorphosis Mondays

Be Colorful: Motivated Monday
Making The World Cuter Monday
The Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday

39 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic!! I am doing the same exact thing with my house... getting rid of gold and red!! Bring on the turquoise!! I am your newest follower. Stop by sometime! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - Have fun eradicating the gold and red...it's sort of liberating :)
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Chris

      Delete
  2. i love what you've done. we have a 1948 brick farmhouse and originally i went with a dark americana decor. but, a few years ago i lightened everything up and i just love it so much more now! my house seems so much bigger than it did before!

    i'm so jealous of your jute rug. there's one at ikea i'm in love with...still trying to convince the hubby i "need" it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have light and bright, isn't it? The rug is actually a seagrass rug from overstock. I waited for a 10% off coupon, so it was a steal. I have the jute ikea rug in my front living room, and I have to say, it's prickly and moves around like crazy. The seagrass is stiff but comfortable...and doesn't move! Good luck convincing - I always have to do that too!
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Love all of it. You did such a good job decorating. The room is welcoming and beautiful.
    blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie for the compliment!
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Love your window treatments. A welcoming, bright and airy space...I love 'before and afters', too! :-)
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - those window treatments are from Ikea! I love that place :)
      Thanks for coming by!
      Chris

      Delete
  5. I love this turquoise you choose for the armoire! beautiful!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia-that is Halycon Green by Sherwin Williams - That may have been the piece that started the ball rolling :)
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful! Such a nice transformation! I'm curious, where did you get that "Prosser Packers" crate? My hometown is Prosser, WA!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world! I actually got it at the local Goodwill - not too far from Prosser. My great-grandparents were from there too. I love apple crates, and how perfect that it's local.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Chris

      Delete
  7. I adore this room - it is beautiful! Woudl you come by and link it up to my party happening now? I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey - I love a good linky party :)
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Love the makeover! Looks so clean and inviting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Cindy! I wish it looked like that right this minute!
      Chris

      Delete
  9. So bright and cheerful! The colors make it so inviting...This project would be perfect for our linky party featuring "Transformations" called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts Friday, March 2nd 2012 at 7:00 am MST and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

    -Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Whitney! I linked up! So glad to find another linky party!
      Chris

      Delete
  10. Love the fresh beachy vibe here! Also love that you layered a sisal over your existing carpet, the perfect touch! Visiting from Rooster & Hen's party.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I have a thing with layered carpets...some people hate them, I happen to adore them!
      Chris

      Delete
  11. The living room looks so comfortable...like the perfect place to relax and unwind! Great job.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so great! Go to know that the sectional fit in your van- I'm making my husband pick up IKEA furniture from Craigslist all the time haha. I love all your colors!! New Follower :)

    Britta @The Handmade House.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Britta! Gotta love Ikea furniture crammed into the back of a car!! Thanks for following :)
      Chris

      Delete
  13. I really really love this room; the colours, the textures!
    Shannon
    (www.akadesign.ca)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon - L.O.V.E. your blog!! So excited that you dropped by!
      Chris

      Delete
  14. You are too cute. I love how you call it Today instead of after. I so get that. :D and I really like this cottage vibe that this room has going on now with this new color scheme. The beauty of having those white Ikea stuffed pieces is that they lend themselves well to a girlfriend, like you and me, that likes to change things up from time to time. So glad you linked this up to BeColorful. I adored it.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Pam! I agree, white furniture makes it easy, to the dismay of my husband, to change everything without worrying about furniture matching. YAY for that!!
      Chris

      Delete
  15. The whole room just rocks! I see some of my favorite elements everywhere - chevron, wood crate, globes, crates, a white sofa and that armoise is stunning. I just love it all - come back Tuesday - I am definitely featuring this gorgeous room!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the transformation. Would you mind sharing the rug and drapes you used? I want to make very similar changes to my family room and I am soo indecisive and nothing is getting done. Thanks!!
    erincyoung (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rug is seagrass from O.co, and drapes are from IKEA. :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Chris, I'm a new follower and new blogger also. Your room is so fresh and inviting. You know I have that exact same corner armoire in a sort of brushed on blue-gray color. The color was on it when I bought at a garage sale for $45, and I want to repaint it. I really didn't want to go white as its such a large piece and would really stand out too much in my room. Looking at yours has inspired me to go for the color which is more of robins egg blue. Hope you'll follow back and share your room at my Frugal Treasures party tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I could inspire you Barbe! It was hard for me to go so bright (it had been black and white before) but it changed the whole room, and I LOVE it now. Good luck on your project :) Thanks for the invite, I'm linking up to your party.
      Chris

      Delete
  18. Hi, found you via Kristin's blog. I'd love to know the source for the art work, it's a nice pop of blue on your walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen-the blue artwork is actually Ikea. It comes in a package of 3 for around ~$10-ish I think.
      Chris

      Delete
  19. what are the exact measurements of your sectional and is that the white or beige color? I have been wanting to change my living room, I have been all over blogland for inspiration and I think I found it! I went to the Ikea website for measurements but just need to know the measurements on each side fo the corner.
    Thank you in advance,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great work! You are very talented!! I was reminded of of Sarah @ TDC for so many beautiful elements and I hope that she sees this fantastic room!! I am your newest follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your living room and especially the turquoise painted cabinet. It's all very beautiful.
    New Follower!!

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete