Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Little bit of Bling {Ikea meet Rub n' Buff}

I've been wanting to make some small changes to the nursery - you know - the one I mentioned back when I was pregnant, but never showed you again? Yeah, that one. Geez...hey, there goes a SQUIRREL!!!

Ahem. Anyway, I wanted to spend zero dollars, and make a big impact. I have had this chandelier in the nursery since I prepared it for miss Caroline.


It's a cutie all by itself - but something about the brushed silver has always bothered me. So at 3:30am a few days ago, while Miss Lydia and I were up having a discussion about the importance of sleep party in her room, I figured out exactly what to do. 

I've had this sitting around for ages...Rub n'Buff in Grecian Gold.



And sleep deprivation made it perfectly clear! Ikea chandelier, this is Rub n' Buff, Rub n' Buff meet Ikea chandelier. I think you are going to be perfect friends. 


 After I first started smearing the gold on with my finger, I started to re-think my decision. I mean, I knew that most of my projects don't look so hot when they are a quarter completed. But seriously, I was freaking out. The thought of taking it down, somehow taping all the crystals and spray painting her just didn't appeal.

But there was no going back...

After using a paint brush to really get into the small spaces and up along the ceiling, it was looking pretty good. I allowed the silver underneath to show through in some spots, because I was hoping it would start to look old...

It was definitely missing something so I pulled out my trusty can of my trusty Citrus-Shield in Walnut. I LOVE. This. Stuff. I inherited it and have no idea where to find it. It could be the last can on earth. I have no idea.


Because of the walnut tint, I think it adds dimension and seals the surface. Really I just wanted it to look like an old crusty antique without the worry of freaky wires burning my house down.  Goal achieved.

I just rubbed it on with a rag and then rubbed it off until I got the desired look.



Perfect! All that glitters really is gold. Or Rub n' Buff. Whatever. It's exactly what this room needed!



 And in case you wonder what my kiddo's are doing when I do these types of projects...



This one napped away in all of her slobbery, chubby goodness. 

Rub n' Buff is pretty great. It was easy to work with, didn't require me to take down the light fixture, which requires things like tools and shutting off the power. All I needed was my craft brush, finger and a rag. I wish all projects were that easy!

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't share that I went a little Rub n' Buff crazy. And maybe created a new gallery wall while I was at it. And then started some changes in the boys room.

It was a long nap.

xo-Chris


Sharing with:

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful room & The chandelier in gold is a great addition to the room

    http://nichuspace.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Thanks for visiting!
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  2. This is really cute! I'm gonna have to go get me this rub and buff stuff! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following! Watch out with the Rub n Buff! It's highly addictive...you will find yourself walking around your house with tube in hand wondering what else you can change!
      Thanks for visiting@
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Love me some Rub 'N Buff!! I've been thinking of doing this same thing to a chandy of mine! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up - thanks for the invite! You must R&B the chandy (and then everything else that you come in contact with!) I'm addicted. Can't get enough. Thanks for dropping by!
      xo-
      Chris

      Delete
  4. We first have to save how cute your little baby is - so sweet. The light fixture is perfect and glad you introduced us to a new product!

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Antiques | DIY | and much more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Citrus Shield: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-CS0014-Citrus-11-Ounces-Neutral/dp/B000LNSIZ0

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally prefer silver, and I really liked the chandelier "as is" BUT I think the new version goes much better in the room! It turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete