Monday, October 8, 2012

Staying {true} to your style

I've been working here and there are Caroline's "big" little girl room and thought I had it all planned out - turquoise with fun, bright coral touches. I have sewed all of the pillows. I painted the picture frames coral. I sewed coral chevron stripes down the edge of the white curtains. 

It is SO cute.

It is NOT me. 

I have found myself walking in the room and staring...thinking...what am I missing? Something doesn't feel right. Do I need to add another color? Do I just need to get the bed and dresser in the room for scale? 

These things make me C R A Z Y. You know that feeling...decorating addicts...when  you work so hard to put something together...have it planned out in every way...and then you start to put the room together...and you aren't happy with the result.

I love so many different designs and ideas, colors and patterns. I loved the idea and inspiration I had found for this room. It's easy to get swayed when you love design - because there is so much fabulous out there. 

But when it came time to put it together, I wasn't staying true to my real self. This room will be perfect when little girl is 10 or so...but she's still a baby. And I want a sweet, soft, feminine room to reflect that...because she has all sorts of time to grow up and demand fun patterns and bright colors.  And my style doesn't reflect the modern vibe that was starting to take hold in that room...it felt like it just didn't belong. It also makes me realize whey I didn't finish her nursery in the same color scheme...it just didn't feel...right.

So back to the drawing board...and the result feels so much better.

Unfortunately....all of that sewing I've already done, must be redone.  

So- in the meantime, I'm on the hunt for floral and feminine patterns. 

Think peonies and roses.  

I loved this picture the day I saw it several years ago in Cottage Living...Isn't it so sweet for a little girl?




















Who am I kidding? I'm not a funky geometric pattern kind of girl...It was fun while it lasted!!

xo-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment