Wednesday, August 22, 2012

{Pretty} Pantry Organization

I know I haven't shown a final picture of the kitchen yet...it's ready. It's just been so busy around here with kids getting ready to go back to school and everything else, that I took a mini-break and figured I would get to it (and everything else I have planned) when they get back to school (TOMORROW!!). 

Along with school starting comes grocery shopping for school lunches. Along with school lunches comes packages, boxes, snacks...it all gets crammed in the pantry. Empty boxes get left. Crumbs get spilled. Packages get ripped open and left for the package fairy to come and take care of (has anyone seen her? She stopped coming around here). 

A dirty secret hides behind this door that I've made pretty to hide the UGLY truth. 


It goes something like this. Once a year I completely re-organize this space and make it useable and functional and usually not so pretty. But it works. The grand finale at the end of summer/beginning of fall looks like this...



Does yours look the same? It is so hard with a family to keep it functional, organized and pretty. Ok, we never even got pretty before. But at least it was CLEAN. Don't call the authorities on me just yet. 

While at Lowes checking out their clearance plants (don't you LOVE this time of year!!) I spotted this.


It's a Spanish Tile pattern on a "greige" background. It's SO pretty and mimics the handpainted stencil that Emily over at Jone's Design Company created. But I'm 5 months pregnant. And I really didn't want to cram myself into the small pantry and stencil, then paint, the walls. 

It's pre-pasted. But I have a bucket of paste and find it easier to slap the paste onto the wall and then put the paper up. 

Today...I want to hide in here until school starts. I cannot take another argument over Play-Doh. 




The red canvas bins weren't my first choice. But there weren't many good budget choices and I didn't want to spend $200 making the pantry functional. So these were around $5 each from Walmart. I thought the red worked since the EAT sign is red. 

 I may or may not have drilled a hole into the wall to allow the cord from the ugly toaster oven to be plugged in behind the refrigerator. Shhh. It never has to leave the pantry again. Can I get a BOO-YAH?

  
I shopped the house for these baskets because I didn't feel like spending $20 a basket at the store. The dark brown rectangles are from Big Lots (used to be in the Laundry Room) and the rattan one with handles is from Ikea. I've had it forever to hold magazines...which reminds me...I need a new place for the magazines.




I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The wallpaper is amazing. I would like all of my bins/baskets to match and for everything to be magazine worthy. But that's just silly (I keep telling myself). 

Should we do a cost breakdown?
Wallpaper- Lowe's, ~$26
Red Canvas Totes-Walmart, $5 each for the small, $6 each for the small = $42
Everything else I had...grand total $68! 

I'll be back soon...

xo-Chris 


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Looks fab as usual and I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really lovely. And I do agree that it's silly to try and get everything magazine worthy!! This is real life we're talking about here!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I used that same wallpaper from Lowe's to back the back of a book case. :) It looks great in your pantry and I love the red bins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great transformation! Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...this looks amazing. I am so pantry challenged. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a huge difference that wall paper makes! I need to organize my pantry so badly but I've been stalling big time. You've given me some motivation to just do it.
    And I love the red baskets. I agree I find it so frustrating that it costs so much money for just 4 or 5 baskets. I'm always on the hunt for cheap baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks great! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are the dimensions of the corner cabinet - particularly the depth of the walls of the pantry to the outside wall, the width of the door and the width of the inside of the cabinet pantry?

    ReplyDelete