I started with 2 Ikea Ritva brown nubby-ish pillow slipcovers. They were cheap at $7 each. I had originally stenciled a number on one of them, and was ready to cover it up. The other one was new. I used expert drafting tools to stencil my cross on the pillow - a kids note pad and a pencil. I know, serious precision instruments. I don't have a picture of this process because I wanted them. N. O. W. and pre-blog (I have a feeling this will be a trend for a while). After my perfectly imperfect cross was drawn, I started painting with some regular old red craft paint and fabric medium. At first I was measuring out ratios of the two. I wanted a worn look, so I didn't allow them to dry completely before I washed them. Well, apparently you have to let them dry for a lot longer than I thought. They kept coming out of the wash with no cross. So, (3x later), I finally just threw the medium and paint together (did I mention I wanted them N.O.W.) and let them dry longer this time. Then, in the wash they went again.
I LOVE how they came out. I already had the fabric medium, and the red paint (2oz) was about $2. $14 on the two covers - so for a whopping $16-ish buckeroos, I too had some vintage red cross pillows. And when I tire of the red, I think they will look great in the boys room...I have some ideas for their room up my sleeve. Shhh. Don't tell Mister.
Linking up to: